You might think you know everything there is to know about German cockroaches. They live and wallow in filth, they multiply quickly, and you know you don’t want them anywhere near your Conroe home. There are still things you might want to know about these nasty creatures.
- Throughout the world there are over 4,000 species of cockroaches in existence. Only about four of these species can live around humans, so those are the only ones you really encounter at home. German cockroaches are the most prevalent, followed by American cockroaches (which live outside most of the time).
- German cockroaches (and other species) have an amazingly complex sense of smell and taste, and can enjoy eating just about anything: from bread crumbs, to cardboard, to feces, glue, paper, soap, toothpaste etc.
- German cockroaches can squish themselves down and squeeze into tight spaces as thin as a quarter.
- German roaches can run as fast as 3 mph. For a creature that size, it’s like a human being able to run hundreds of miles per hour.
- These cockroaches can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes, and live without their heads (and without food) for weeks. Without water, however, they will eventually die of dehydration.
- Cockroaches don’t breathe oxygen. Their respiration is through spiracles on their bodies. This is why they can live without their heads and without oxygen for so long.
There’s a lot you can do (starting with keeping your house clean and organized) to help keep German cockroaches away. If you do have roaches at home, don’t fret, as they can find their way even into the cleanest homes. But if you have a growing infestation on your hands, it might be time to call in a professional. Save yourself tons of time, money, and stress by calling our Conroe, TX pest control experts today! We can help you get your home roach-free in no time!
Recommended Read :fullscope pest control